Rabu, 13 April 2011
Potato kills motorists!
Dangerous things potatoes!
I was listening to the BBC Breakfast programme the other day and they were running a piece on the statistical correlation between the consumption of alcohol and deaths due to cancer.
According to the BBC, the statistics prove that cancer is caused by alcohol. You are, apparently, proven to be 18% more likely to get cancer if you consume two glasses of wine a day. I can picture my smokey drinkey blogger friends out there shouting at the screen already as they read this!
It is, of course, absolute tosh!
Now I have been accused in the past of being pedantic and insisting that English is used properly (shurely not!) so crap like this raises my blood pressure - which is apparently OK as a couple of glasses of red wine tend to lower it again, so at least I'll die of cancer instead of a heart attack.
So let's clear this up. If the Beeb had said 'there is a strong statistical correlation that suggests a link between alcohol and cancer' then fair enough, but in these days of lack of 'Standards, dear boy. Standards' the Beeb is notorious for grabbing the sensational headline...
Statistically, pretty much everyone who has been killed in a road accident has, at some point, eaten potatoes. Therefore, applying the BBC's exacting standards, potatoes have been proven to kill motorists.
Lies, damn lies, and statistics...
Langganan:
Posting Komentar (Atom)

Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar